The Reader Problems Tag | another tag from the ancient archives

Pexels

Several months ago, I was skimming through old blog archives and stumbled upon this tag. It looked fun, so here we are.

~ ~ ~

You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?

We're taking it one book at a time. Starting with the oldest listed book and going up from there. We can do this! (insert muscle emoji XD)

JK, this isn't really a problem for me. I don't get overwhelmed by the amount of books left to read in the world. I get extremely excited. As long as people keep writing good books and I have access to good ones from older eras, I'll never run out of things to read, and that is just a beautiful, beautiful thought to me.

You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?

I'm QUITTING!! Dragging myself through books I'm disinterested in is NOT my idea of fun.

The end of the year is coming and you’re so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

I must reiterate the point made above. I want reading to be fun, to not feel like a chore. So I don't do challenges that dictate an amount of books I have to read in case they cross over into that dreaded chore territory. 

The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?

I shall hunt down the copies that do match. But, say for whatever reason I cannot do that, then I'll just try to ignore the un-matchiness. And I’ll focus on the positives: While the books are not aesthetically pleasing all together, I am fortunate to have read such a wonderful story that I even care if it is lacking in the visuals department. 

Pexels

Every one and their mother loves a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?

My siblings. Our tastes in stories are fairly similar.

You’re reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?

I don't think I've ever cried reading a book before. When it comes to stories, movies and shows tend to leave me more emotional than books do. But if it ever did happen: Stop reading. Wipe the eyes. If I had need of a book in this public situation for something like passing the time, then I'll pull out my notes app and tap random sentences instead.

A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!

I'd just read the sequel. I have a pretty good memory so this is rarely an issue for me. But on the few occasions when it has happened, once I start reading the sequel I usually remember the basics of what was going on and who everyone is.

You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?

"EEEEK! I am so glad you want to read this story!! But, no, that's my display book, haha, it's not for reading, I just look at it, lol. Come on, let's head to the library and get you a copy. I am so excited to hear your thoughts on it as you read!"

Pexels
while there were many elements of crimes
of grindelwald I didn't care for,
the cover for the screenplay is GORGEOUS.
i own a copy and it's def a display book lol.

You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?

This happens to me on a regular basis. It. Is. Infuriating. I miss the days of old when every book picked up was just incredible. The only solution to this terrible chain of circumstances is to power through. If I keep reading, I always find something I love. Also, as I'm coming across the books I don't like, I try and take note of the actual elements I'm not vibing with, that way if I read them in another blurb or see them on a cover of a next book, I can avoid them.

There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?

None. Where I live I am fortunate enough to have a free public library system, so if I want something that’s coming out I’ll request my library order it for their inventory. I rarely purchase books for my own personal library without having read them first. I dislike the idea of buying it only to realize it’s not for me. 

After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

If I've purchase a book, I have likely already read it and therefore won't be reading it again for some time. I may pick it up every now and then to reread a favorite scene or quote, but that's about it. The few exceptions would be my absolute favorite series like Harry Potter or Little House on the Prairie. (Super different genres, I know XD. But I will love any book regardless of genre as long as it's fun.) When I was younger, series like those I’d reread every year. Nowadays, I generally reread books every handful of years. So, that’s probably about how long they’ll sit before I read them again in their entirety. 

Pexels

~ ~ ~

I tag:

Lizzie Hexam @ Starlight and Saucepans

Eva @ birds, sky, and stars

Ivy Miranda @ Revealed in Time

Rachel @ The Edge of the Precipice 

and YOU, if you're reading this.


Here's a fresh set of the questions:

You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?

You’re halfway through a book and you’re just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?

The end of the year is coming and you’re so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how? 

The covers of a series you love do. not. match. How do you cope?

Every one and their mother loves a book you really don’t like. Who do you bond with over shared feelings?

You’re reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?

A sequel of a book you loved just came out, but you’ve forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!

You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people nope when they ask?

You’ve picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?

There are so many new books coming out that you’re dying to read! How many do you actually buy?

After you’ve bought the new books you can’t wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?

~ ~ ~

Thanks so much for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

Go be epic!

2 comments