#abouttheauthoraugust | Week Two

pexels

You can read my answers to week one’s prompts
here! :)

Now for week two!

~ ~ ~

- A book/story from your childhood that influenced your writing? 

When I answered a question similar to this in a tag last year, I said Harry Potter. So to switch it up for today, I’ll choose Doctor Who. I grew up watching Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Peter Capaldi’s doctor, and when it comes to how I first started writing dialogue, epic monologues, twists, characters, all of that and more, I know those seasons were a HUGE inspiration. 

- What inspired your current project?

Life. Specifically the journey of it. Realizing again and again how broken the world is and then just trying to find your place in all the chaos and hurt. It's a pretty typical theme for ya, but I think it's so popular because you do kind of spend your whole life, even after being a teen, just trying to navigate the various hardships of life that manifest around and within you.

- How do you choose a WIP?

I choose whichever gets me excited to write, and often, whichever is giving me less trouble with the characters and plot. Also, projects I’ve already started generally get first priority since I don’t like the idea of leaving a wip unfinished that I’ve already invested so much time in. 

- A lesson you've learned from writing?

(I'm not sure if this is what the question meant, but I'm gonna tweak the wording a bit and answer a lesson I've learned about writing.) 

Writing is a marathon, not a sprint. 

This has two meanings to me. For one, it means I don’t have to panic because I have so many ideas and worry I’ll never get them all published. Lord willing, I'll be writing for the rest of my life. So it’s actually okay if I need to take a decade or two or more to work on a story. Of course, I don’t want to take that long because of fear and overthinking, but if it’s naturally going that way from circumstances outside of my control, then that’s okay. If the story is meant to exist for myself and others to read, then it will. :)

Secondly, since there’s no rush, I can take the time to slow down and carefully craft each word and sentence, doing my best to ensure what I write is true and beautiful and, very importantly, concise. Because, while there is no rush, we also don’t have all the time in the world, so it’s really important to me that I get my ideas across with just the amount of words that are needed for the effect I want to create, and no more. 

- What is a dream you have for your writing? Have you had any writing dreams already come true?

I want to make the world a little brighter for someone somewhere. Take hold of a hand and point its owner toward light and cheerful things. And I want to help someone be brave too. This life is really very difficult, and yet we still have to keep moving, running, and fighting. A little bravery, a little courage, it goes a long way. And it is through music and stories that I have always found that courage for myself, and now it's my turn to step up to the plate and create for these times and I'm so excited and honored to keep the cycle going. To keep the flame burning. 

One writing dream that has already come true is blogging. Blogging was a dream I held for many years, but the stars didn’t align for me to start until 2021. And then most importantly, we have this particular blog project, With Joy for the Work, where I've set aside a space for me to be messy and experiment and have fun. I’ve loved getting to share my writings here, and I’ve gotten many encouraging comments that make me want to keep going! ๐Ÿ’ช

~ ~ ~ 

And that’s a wrap on #abouttheauthoraugust! These questions were a lot of fun. Thanks for the event, Jameson! 

Dearest reader, thanks so much for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

Go be epic!

~ ~ ~

"back then." stray kids
(my current fav song from skz's new album!
I also love "i do" and "way out")

0 comments