![]() |
| pexels |
I want my works to be timeless. Novels, poetry, short pieces that you can come back to in 3, 5, 14, 30 years and there's still something special for you to take away just as there was when you read it first.
We're only here for a little bit, only alive for our special hour, and then we leave this world. There isn't a lot of time. We do not have forever. And so I do not want the work I create to only matter for the time I’m here.
The past several years I've found myself returning to old stories and old songs. WW2 era stories, both fictional and nonfiction, and more recently ones from the 2000s and early 2010s, again, both ones made up and ones that actually happened.
It isn't just nostalgia I'm after. Though sometimes that can be part of it. Really, I'm looking for truths to stand on. For anchors to secure myself as I continue to grow up in this world.
How beautiful it is that despite the eras and ages that separate us, someone else out there knew the same heartbreak I do now. The same laughter. The same grief. The same exhaustion, excitement, anger, and awe. And in their art, they recorded some of the ways that helped them to make it through it all. Tips and tricks. Philosophies and mindsets.
Of course the Bible is where we find ultimate truth, but there is still lots of wisdom to glean from those who’ve gone before.
And as I think, what a gift it is that I have access to these songs and stories from eras past that reach out and take my hand, that help to guide me through the days I’m living now, a desire grows in my heart to have the things I create do the same.
I want to leave a legacy for those who will come after.
So let my works be good and honest and all that sort of thing. Let them matter and matter and matter to all who might see them directly after they are sent out into the world. But let them also reach across the decades and the generations and take the hand of someone who has not even been born yet and whisper, 'darling, precious heart, you are not alone'.
Let my works be timeless.
/ / /
Love Poem. Seungmin (start at 7:34)

0 comments